Friday, July 06, 2012

HEBuddy Summer Reading Program - 2012

I found out about HEBubby's Summer Reading program in 2001 when I moved back to San Antonio from Virginia Beach. That year I only had one child participate. But by 2007 that number had grown to 4. And we have participated every year; except, there was that one year when the t-shirts awarded were of HEBuddy dressed as a wizard. The children still did a lot of reading that summer but we skipped sending away for that prize.

With moving from our house almost 2 months ago, my husband going to CA, and us staying with friends waiting to join him, I had completely forgotten about the reading program this year. I must really have a  lot on my mind because I usually start talking about summer reading before school is even over with. Thankfully, a few days ago my children spied a stand at the front of  HEB that reminded us. So we picked up 3 submission forms and went on our merry way. Sadly, my eldest who is now 13 feels that he is too old to wear an HEBuddy shirt. How did that happen?

We will be completing our reading and have our reading lists mailed in pretty quickly in hopes that we will still be in town when the t-shirts arrrive. In the past, it has never taken more than three weeks for us to receive them.

The San Antonio Public Library system also has a summer reading program each year ending with a big library party. I used to let my eldest participate in those but the themes changed from cute and kid related to magic. I tried to ignore it the first year and let my son do the reading so that he could pick out a free book. But surprise, almost all of the choices were books about magic. Maybe they have since changed their ways, but we decided to just stick with HEB's program.