Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cotton Unit Study

Cotton, "the fabric of our lives®." Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, there are probably several different directions that you could go in with a unit study on cotton (i.e. the cotton gin, clothing, cotton during slavery). I guess I'll just let the free materials dictate which direction we take. We usually wind up learning a lot when I do it that way.
 

 Cotton Coloring Book
The Wonderful World of Cotton is a coloring book that looks like it will hold the childrens' interest. The words in the book are fairly simple. So, I plan on having the children and myself take turns reading.

Cotton Lesson Plan
This cotton lesson plan is for upper grades.It's a very short lesson but it contains a lot of information. This might be one of those cases where less is more. I'm going to print this out for my 9th grader. Even though he has his own curriculum, he still likes to study the same topic that his siblings are learning.

Cotton Website

I don't think I'm even going to look for another website besides cottoncampus.org. This site has cotton related educational materials for lower and upper grades. There is also a games section. You could probably spend a few days to a week going through all of the material that is on the site. I'm definitely going to use the "World of Cotton" slide show.

A Short Study
This looks like it will be a short study. I don't want to go into slavery and cotton picking with a 3, 4, and 5 year old. So, I'll save the Eli Whitney study for a later date. My plan is to read the coloring book, watch the slide show, and then let the children color the pages in the book. That's probably about 1 day's worth of school, two at the most.

No comments: