Today, my (latest) 5 year old picked up a coloring book and started working on a word search in it. He completed a lot of it by himself. He sounded out the words in the word list and then looked for the word in the puzzle. I helped him whenever he got stuck.
I had forgotten what a great learning tool these puzzles are. I was temporarily tempted to head out to the Dollar General and pick up a couple of the above mentioned books. But that would be going against my belief that most educational materials can be found for free online. So, I'm compiling some links to some good sites where I can print off some puzzles and put together a homemade activity book.
Free Printable Crossword Puzzles @
- DLTK-Teach- several themes and each theme has several levels of difficulty
- Free Printables - various levels
- Coloring Crafts
- Activity-Sheets.com - easy #'s 1-20
- Kids R Crafty - A-Z, by 2s, 5s, and 10s
- Coloring.ws - arranged by order of difficulty
Free Printable Mad Libs (ish) Word Games @
- Kids R Crafty - 3 different age levels: 3, 4, and 5 year olds
- DLTK-Bible - Bible mazes, varying levels of difficulty
Spot the Differences @
Word Search Worksheets @
- DTK-Teach - lots of themes and you can choose either easy or hard puzzles in color or black and white