Saturday, July 28, 2012

2012 - 2013 Homeschool Reading List


Last year I attempted to follow Ambleside Online's reading list. I printed out quite a few books and stapled them together with my handy dandy, heavy duty stapler. And then I made myself weekly schedules based on AO's suggestions. This is no slight against AO but I just did not manage to keep up with the reading like I thought I would be able to. 

After some self-reflection I have come to the conclusion that our schooling experience turns out the best when I put the curriculum together myself. For years I have started out that way but at some point I would doubt my efforts and switch to something that some "experts" had put together. My husband has been telling me this for years but I finally believe for myself that I am a great teacher to my children. 

There can be a lot of self doubt when you homeschool. I have definitely had my fair share of it. But I am done with that. I know that God has uniquely gifted me to make sure that my children get a quality education. I am the expert for my children. I refuse to doubt myself any longer. And that's the end of it.

What does any of this have to do with our reading list for this year? Well, this list has been compiled by me based on the tastes, needs, and beliefs of my family. We don't do fairies, witches, or magic in our house. So there are no books with any of that content (to my knowledge) on this list. And we love the Lord; so, many of the books mention God.

Most of these books can be found for free by doing a quick search on Google Books. Otherwise, I have provided a link.

Drawing
Willie's First Lessons in Drawing

English/Literature
Aesop's Fables
The Child's Own English Book
Grammar-Land
The Play Grammar or The Elements of Grammar Explained in Easy Games 

History
The Boy Lincoln
Broad Stripes and Bright Stars
Fifty Famous Stories Retold
Hans Brinker
Letters from Colonial Children
Mary of Plymouth
Ten Boys Who Lived on the Road from Long Ago to Now

Math
Everyday Number Stories
Living math books from the library
Number Stories of Long Ago

Science
The Burgess Animal Book for Children
The Insect Folk
Seed Babies

Additional Reading
Toby Tyler or Ten Weeks at the Circus

Resources that I used to compile my list:
Accelerated Achievement book list