Monday, April 12, 2010

Free Homeschool Spanish Curriculum for High School Students

I was absolutely astounded when I started looking for a homeschool Spanish curriculum. Wow, you can spend a small fortune teaching your children another language.

Free Spanish Book and Teacher's Manual
So, I was happy when I came across a free student book for learning Spanish. The book is called Poco a Poco. It was written by a University of Texas foreign language instructor in 1922. Don't let the date fool you. This book is still an excellent resource today. And here is the teacher's manual to go along with it. Over the summer my son went through a few of the lessons on his own. I just printed out a new lesson each time he completed one.


A Self Teaching Approach to Spanish
He enjoyed it so much that I decided that he'll take Spanish I this year. We will be using Getting Started with Spanish: Beginning Spanish for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age. This isn't a free book but I like that the book was written with the self learner in mind. I think my son will do well using the approach taken in the book. And we will use the links provided to listen to the proper way to pronounce the words.

Free Videos to Learn Spanish
I'm also going to see if we can incorporate the excellent set of free videos available on Learner.org called Destinos - An Introduction to Spanish. If you are completely unfamiliar with Spanish then the videos alone may not be adequate enough to teach your high school student Spanish. However, you can buy used workbooks to accompany the series for just a few dollars on Amazon.
As of this post, you can buy each workbook (used) for less than $10 plus tax.

No comments: